Blackberry and apple crêpes
- February 2010
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 200ml milk
- 110g plain flour
- 20g butter, melted, plus a little extra for frying the pancakes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the blackberry and apple filling
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 300g blackberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork. Mix the milk and 100ml water in a small jug. Sift the flour into a large bowl, make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the eggs and 2 tbsp of the milk mixture.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the eggs and milk so you start to make a whirlpool in the middle of the bowl. When the liquid in the centre of the bowl is as thick as double cream, pour in a little more of the milk and water mixture and continue to mix, pulling in more flour. Keep doing this until all the milk is used up and you have a smooth batter. Whisk in the melted butter. Leave the batter to stand for 30 minutes, to allow the starch in the flour to swell, then stir again.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Put the apples, blackberries and sugar into a pan. Cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then turn up the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the apple is tender. Leave to cool.
- Pour a drop of the oil and a very small knob of butter into a 20cm frying pan and place over a high heat. When hot, use a ladle or large spoon to pour some of the batter into the frying pan. Quickly swirl the mixture around the pan to cover the base. Cook the pancake for a minute, then flip it over with a palette knife to lightly brown the other side for a minute or so, then tip it out onto a plate.
- Keep making pancakes until you have used up all the batter. You may need to add a little more oil and butter to the pan after every 2-3 pancakes. Serve the crepes with the blackberry apple filling and whipped cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter