- 1 medium free-range egg
- 1 wholemeal bread slice
- Small piece of softened butter, for spreading
- Half-fill a small saucepan with water. Put on the hob over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, gently lower the egg into the saucepan using a long-handled, slotted spoon. As soon as the water comes back to the boil, set the timer for 4 minutes. This will give you a lovely soft-boiled egg with a runny yolk, which is perfect for dipping your toast soldiers into. If you want the yolk to be slightly firmer, boil the egg for 5 minutes. If you want a hard-boiled egg with a firm yolk you will need to boil it for 7 minutes.
- When the egg is done, carefully lift it out of the pan with a slotted spoon. Put it into an egg cup.
- Pop the bread into the toaster and toast until golden brown. Put it on a chopping board and spread it with butter, then cut it into long strips to dip into the egg. Serve the egg with salt and pepper pots.
- Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before boiling. If they’re been in the fridge, take them out 30 minutes before cooking them.