Brussels sprouts with black pudding and chestnuts
- December 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, 20 min to cook
This brussels sprout recipe, with black pudding and chestnuts, makes a wonderful seasonal dish.
- 6.7g (1.6g saturated)
- 11.9g (6.2g sugars)
- 300g brussels sprouts
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 50g black pudding (or chorizo, see tip), quartered and sliced
- 50g cooked chestnuts (see tip)
- Good drizzle of clear honey
- Splash of madeira
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Leaves from 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the whole sprouts. Simmer for 5-6 minutes until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold water, then leave to drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the black pudding and fry for 5 minutes until crisp. Loosely crumble in the chestnuts, add the sprouts and honey, then fry with the black pudding for 5 minutes more.
- Pour over a good splash of madeira and cook for a further 3 minutes. Sprinkle over the zest and thyme, season well and serve.
Ready-cooked vacuum-sealed chestnuts from a tin or pack work well for this recipe.
Next time, use sliced chorizo instead of black pudding.
See how to cook sprouts here:
Rate & review