Bacon, broccoli and brussels sprout pasta bake
- December 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20-25 min
Give brussels sprouts a new lease of life in this hearty pasta bake recipe. On the table and ready to eat in less than an hour – an easy, family-appropriate midweek meal.
- 21.8g (9.1g saturated)
- 69.1g (12.7g saturated)
- 2.9 salt
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 200g brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- 200g British free-range smoked bacon lardons
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 680g passata
- 400g pack fresh penne pasta
- Dollop mascarpone or cream cheese
- Handful basil leaves, torn
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
You’ll also need…
- 2 litre ovenproof baking dish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the broccoli and sprouts into a colander and pour over a kettle of freshly boiled. Leave to steam.
- Heat a large saucepan, then fry the bacon until crisp. Turn down the heat and add the onion and garlic, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn. Once the onion has softened a little, pour in the passata, add the steamed green veg and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta with the mascarpone and basil, season well, then spoon into the baking dish. Top with the cheddar, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Replace the bacon with cubes of chorizo for a smoky, spicy flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and orange herb butter
Banish soggy sprouts from your memory forever with this simple and flavoursome brussels sprouts recipe...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...