Bacon, broccoli and brussels sprout pasta bake
- December 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20-25 min
Give brussels sprouts a new lease of life in this hearty pasta bake recipe. On the table and ready to eat in less than an hour – an easy, family-appropriate midweek meal.
- 21.8g (9.1g saturated)
- 69.1g (12.7g saturated)
- 2.9 salt
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 200g brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- 200g British free-range smoked bacon lardons
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 680g passata
- 400g pack fresh penne pasta
- Dollop mascarpone or cream cheese
- Handful basil leaves, torn
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
You’ll also need…
- 2 litre ovenproof baking dish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the broccoli and sprouts into a colander and pour over a kettle of freshly boiled. Leave to steam.
- Heat a large saucepan, then fry the bacon until crisp. Turn down the heat and add the onion and garlic, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn. Once the onion has softened a little, pour in the passata, add the steamed green veg and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta with the mascarpone and basil, season well, then spoon into the baking dish. Top with the cheddar, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Replace the bacon with cubes of chorizo for a smoky, spicy flavour.
Rate & review