Sticky buffalo wings with blue cheese sauce
- July 2021
- Serves 4 (with extra sauce)
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus marinating
Buffalo wings are an American classic. Learn how to make these sticky and fiery BBQ chicken wings with our easy recipe. Serve with blue cheese sauce if you’d like.
Cooking up a US-inspired BBQ feast? Our Texas-spiced prime rib of beef cooks low and slow on the barbecue and is perfect for feeding a crowd.
- 53.6g (21.6g saturated)
- 3.6g (2.2g sugars)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5kg free-range chicken wings (kept whole or separated into wing and drumette)
For the buffalo sauce
- 120ml hot sauce (we used Frank’s)
- 100g salted butter
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the blue cheese sauce
- 40g salted butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 150ml whole milk
- 150g blue cheese, such as stilton
- 100ml soured cream
- Mix the flour, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and a large pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat, then cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- For the buffalo sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small pan over a medium heat, stirring often, until smooth. Bring to a simmer, then set aside to cool.
- For the blue cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium pan, then add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the milk gradually, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Bring to a simmer, stirring, then remove from the heat and crumble in the cheese. Stir until smooth. Stir in the soured cream, then season to taste and leave to cool.
- Light the barbecue so the coals are glowing (and not directly under
the food) or the gas is on medium. Cook the wings for 10-15 minutes with the lid closed, turning from time to time. Transfer the wings to a large bowl and toss with the buffalo sauce, then return to the barbecue and cook for 10-15 minutes more, turning and basting with leftover buffalo sauce, until
charred and cooked through.
- Serve the wings hot, with the cheese sauce and an apple and celery salad, if you like.
Don’t want to BBQ? To cook in the oven, spread the wings in a single layer on the baking trays, toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, then cook for 20 minutes at 180ºC fan/gas 6. Toss the wings in the buffalo sauce to coat, then cook for 15-20 minutes more, turning halfway, until caramelised and sticky
Make both sauces up to 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and chill. Gently reheat the blue cheese sauce, adding a splash of milk if needed, and whisk until smooth and silky.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Barbecue recipes from around the world
Buffalo chicken wings with celery sticks and blue cheese dip
A classic American recipe of spicy chicken wings with a rich and creamy blue cheese...