Caramelised onion, spinach and goat’s cheese filo pie
- June 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven-time 40 min
Layers of crisp filo pastry sandwiching together a delicious mixture of caramelised onion, spinach and goat’s cheese; all ready in 40 minutes.
For something a little different, try our spanakopita recipe made with fresh herbs, spinach and ricotta.
- 15.4g (4.1g saturated)
- 40.4g (14.2g sugars)
- 260g bag baby leaf spinach
- 270g pack Jus-Rol filo pastry (7 sheets)
- Olive oil for brushing
- ½ bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 50g pine nuts
- 100g hard goat’s cheese, grated
- ½ x 265g jar caramelised red onion marmalade or chutney (we like Stokes or The English Provender Co)
You’ll also need…
- 20cm x 30cm deep roasting tin, oiled
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Slit the top of the bag of spinach and microwave for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Empty the spinach into a colander and, using a wooden spoon, squeeze out the excess water, then roughly chop.
- Cut all the filo sheets in half widthways, then layer 5 pieces, overlapping, to cover the bottom of the roasting tin, brushing each sheet lightly with oil.
- Spoon half the chopped spinach into the tin, scatter over half each of the dill, pine nuts and goat’s cheese, then dot with half the onion marmalade. Layer another 4 sheets of filo on top, brushing each with oil, then repeat with the remaining filling, finishing with the final 5 sheets of filo, also brushing them with oil. Bake for 40 minutes until golden and crisp.
Wrap slices of the pie in foil and use as lunchbox fillers.
To make a quick onion marmalade: slice 1 large red onion and fry for 5-6 minutes, then bubble with ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar until thick and sticky.
Add extra vegetables, such as roasted red peppers or marinated artichokes.
The pie will keep, well wrapped in foil or in an airtight container, for 1-2 days
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...