Cardamom-scented Chelsea buns
- January 2008
- Makes 9
- Takes 35 minutes to make, 25-30 minutes to bake, plus about 2 hours’ proving
This Chelsea bun recipe is a stunning special occasion dessert. The addition of aromatic, heady cardamom makes them irresistible.
- 13.6g (7.4g saturated)
- 57.4g (18g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 450g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 225ml warm milk
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped shelled pistachios
- For the filling
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 tsp roughly crushed cardamom seeds
- 50g sultanas
- 50g currants
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- Grease a deep, 23cm square tin with butter. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine crumbs, then stir in the yeast.
- In another bowl, whisk the sugar and egg together. Add to the dry ingredients with all but 2 tablespoons milk. Mix to a soft dough, adding the remaining milk, if needed.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for at least 15 minutes, until it feels smooth and elastic. Put in a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough in the bowl to ‘knock back’. Tip back out onto the floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll out into a rectangle about 25cm x 35cm.
- Make the filling. Spread the butter over the dough, then scatter over the cardamom, fruit and sugar. Roll up like a Swiss roll from the long end and cut into 9 rounds. Arrange in the tin, cut-side down; 3 to a row. Cover with lightly greased cling film and put in a warm place for 45 minutes, until well risen.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Bake the buns for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and brush with the honey and sprinkle with the pistachios. Cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then eat warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rate & review