Chocolate and cinnamon buns
- Online only
- Makes 11 large buns
- Hands-on 35 min, cook time 20-25 mins, plus proving
Whether you call them cinnamon buns or cinnamon rolls, the addition of chocolate in this recipe by the Nordic Bakery is a heavenly one.
For the dough
- 570ml lukewarm milk
- 150g caster sugar
- 45g fresh yeast (or easy blend dried yeast according to manufacturer’s instructions)
- 1 tbsp cardamom seeds, crushed with a pestle and mortar
- 180g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1kg plain flour
For the filling
- 100g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 200g dark brown soft sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 85g chocolate buttons
For the glaze
- 85g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
You will also need
- 2 baking trays, lined with non-stick baking paper
- To make the dough, put the milk, sugar, yeast, cardamom, melted butter and egg in a food processor or mixer with the dough hook. With the motor running, gradually add the flour until it is all incorporated and the dough has come together.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly-floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll it out until it is about 30x80cm and 7mm thick.
- For the filling, spread the butter evenly over the dough and sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and chocolate buttons all over the top.
- Roll the dough up from the long side. Cut into 6cm rolls. Carefully transfer and arrange the rolls cut side down on the prepared baking trays, cover with a tea towel again and leave to prove in a warm place for 30-60 minutes, until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Bake the buns in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze, put the sugar, lemon juice and 100ml water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until slightly thickened. The glaze will still be quite watery.
- Remove the buns from oven, transfer to a wire rack and brush the glaze generously over them. Leave to cool before serving.
Rate & review