Cheesy baked bagel pudding
- March 2020
- SERVES 6
- HANDS-ON TIME 15 MIN, OVEN TIME 30 MIN, PLUS 1 HOUR SOAKING
This savoury twist on bread and butter pudding uses bagels instead of sliced bread and couldn’t be easier to make! It’s comforting, carby, cheesy goodness – is there a better way to start the day?
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.5g (15.4g saturated)
- 40.9g (5.2g sugars)
- 6 plain bagels, halved
- 80g butter, softened
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 650ml whole milk
- 7 tbsp mustard (we used 3 tbsp American mustard and 4 tbsp English mustard)
- 20g finely chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley, chives or a mix)
- 200g emmental cheese, grated (choose a vegetarian one if you need to)
- 150g dill pickles, halved
You’ll also need…
- 2 litre (about 30cm x 20cm) ovenproof dish, lightly greased with butter or oil
- Spread the cut side of the bagels with most of the butter. In a jug, mix the eggs and milk and season well with salt and pepper. Mix the mustards in a bowl, then stir in the herbs and 75ml of the milk mixture. Layer half the halved bagels, cut-side up, in the ovenproof dish, then pour over half the milk and egg mixture and sprinkle with three quarters of the cheese. Add the rest of the bagel halves, cut-side down, then pour over the rest of the milk and egg mixture and press the bagel halves down with your hands to help them soak up the liquid.
- Drizzle the herby mustard mixture over the bagels, tuck in the pickles and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Brush any exposed bagels with the remaining butter, then leave to soak for an hour.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Bake the bagel pudding for 30 minutes until golden brown and slightly puffed up, then serve straightaway.
Rate & review