Russell’s asparagus, gorgonzola, walnut and mint bruschetta
- April 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Food writer Russell Norman finds his inspiration in Italy’s beautiful cities and this bruschetta recipe, with asparagus and mint, reflects everything he loves about Italian cuisine.
Avocado bruschetta with parma ham and poached egg is likewise an easy recipe for brunch.
- 22.4g (7.6g saturated)
- 24.3g (2.3g sugars)
- 50g walnut halves
- 125g fine asparagus
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- ½ garlic clove
- 120g gorgonzola
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- A few sprigs fresh mint, roughly torn
- Heat a large dry griddle pan over a high heat for a minute or so until smoking hot. Toast the walnuts for a couple of minutes, turning frequently, until toasted but not burnt, then chop roughly and set aside.
- Lay the asparagus spears carefully across the griddle pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until softened and charred. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Toast the sourdough in the same pan for a minute or so until griddle lines appear, then flip over and toast the other side. Turn off the heat and transfer the grilled sourdough slices to a board or 4 plates.
- Rub one side of each slice of bread lightly with the garlic, then gently crumble over the gorgonzola. Cut the asparagus in half lengthways (or leave whole as in the picture), then lay evenly on top of the cheese. Drizzle over a little olive oil and sprinkle over the toasted walnut pieces, mint, a pinch of salt and a twist of black pepper.
If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, replace the gorgonzola with feta for a salty, savoury hit.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Italian starter recipes
Lemon ricotta bruschetta with Tenderstem and heirloom tomatoes
Need a quick, seasonal starter to a spring meal or...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter