Brie and bacon bread pudding
- March 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 25-30 min
How does one make brunch a decadent occasion? By serving this brie and bacon bread pudding, that’s how. It’s a loosen-the-belt breakfast – perfect for when you’re feeling a little rough round the edges.
- 48g (26.4g saturated)
- 26.7g (4.2g sugars)
- 200g pack streaky bacon
- 8 medium slices sourdough
- 100g butter, softened
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 300ml full fat Jersey milk
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 160g pack brie, sliced
You’ll also need…
- 1.6 litre ovenproof dish, lightly greased with butter or oil
- Heat the grill to high and cook the bacon, turning, for 5-6 minutes until crisp. Set aside to cool, then snip into chunks.
- Meanwhile, spread the sourdough with the butter (save a bit for brushing) and cut the longer slices in half. Mix the eggs, milk, crème fraîche and some salt and pepper in a jug. Stir in three quarters of the cheddar and all the spring onions.
- Layer half the buttered bread in the ovenproof dish, tucking in slices of brie and crispy bacon pieces. Pour over half the egg/milk mixture, spreading the cheese and spring onions evenly around the bread. Arrange the remaining bread, brie and bacon in the dish and pour over the remaining egg/milk mix. Use your hands to gently press the bread into the egg/milk mixture. Scatter with the rest of the cheddar, then brush any exposed bread with the remaining butter. Set aside to soak for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Bake the bread pudding for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and slightly puffed up. Serve straightaway.
For a veggie alternative omit the bacon and add some roasted red peppers or caramelised onions.
The bread needs to soak in the egg/milk mixture for at least an hour (step 3), but it’s fine to soak it for up to 24 hours, covered, in the fridge. Bake when ready to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mother's Day brunch recipes
Potato champ cakes with crispy bacon and fried eggs
This comforting dish would make a brilliant brunch or speedy midweek meal and uses ingredients...