Chicken and bean summer stew
- August 2012
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 free-range chicken legs
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 350ml chicken stock, hot
- 400g tin flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g frozen broad beans, blanched and skins slipped off
- Handful each of fresh mint, parsley and basil, shredded
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken legs well, then fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden and beginning to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour out any excess fat from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoonfuls.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or so until soft and translucent. Add the miso paste to the chicken stock, then add to the pan along with the flageolet beans. Return the chicken to the pan, bring to a gentle simmer, then cover and cook for 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir through the broad beans and fresh herbs, season well, then serve in bowls with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Rate & review