- January 2018
- Makes 8 portions (2 meals for 4)
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 45 min
This recipe makes enough filling for two meals – just freeze any leftovers ready for another day. Try topping with crispy pastry for a quick and easy chicken pot pie.
- 6.4g (1.2g saturated)
- 36.8g (10.7g sugars)
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 700g), peeled and diced
- Vegetable oil to fry and brush
- 400g banana shallots, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 500g packs skinless boneless free-range chicken thighs, sliced into 2-3cm strips
- 4 red peppers, deseeded and sliced 1cm thick
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml chicken stock
- 400g potatoes, thinly sliced
You’ll also need…
- 1.2 litre baking dish
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the sweet potatoes and cook for 12-15 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside. Heat a glug of oil in the pan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes until softening. Add the garlic, paprika and tomato purée, then fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the chicken strips and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the peppers and the flour and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Add the sweet potatoes and stock to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened, then taste and season.
- Spoon half the filling into the baking dish. (Freeze the rest for the other recipe.)
- Top with the potatoes, brush with oil and bake for 45 minutes until the potatoes are golden and tender. Serve with steamed green veg.
Stir in a little crème fraîche after simmering (step 3) for a richer flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter