Chicken meatball and orzo broth
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 min
This light chicken meatball and orzo broth serves as a hearty midweek meal while being much lower in fat than a classic meatball recipe.
Or, for a slightly different take on this brothy soup, check out our chicken, kale and pesto soup.
- 8.6g (3.6g saturated)
- 37.3g (3.5g sugars)
- 340g British free-range chicken sausages, skin removed (see tip)
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 30g fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 800ml chicken stock
- 30g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 150g orzo pasta
- 150g purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 Mix the sausagemeat, parsley, lemon zest, 2 tbsp of the parmesan, the breadcrumbs and some salt and black pepper in a medium bowl. Form into 16 equal-size meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, set over a medium-high heat and fry the balls for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden, then set aside. 3 Bring the stock to a simmer in a medium pan and add the porcini mushrooms. Cook for 7 minutes over a low heat, then add the leek and meatballs for 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo in a separate pan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions, adding the broccoli for the final 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, then add to the stock and meatballs and serve with the remaining parmesan on top.
Go for sausages that are at least 70% chicken – we used Heck Chicken Italia; or use 340g turkey thigh mince.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter