Chicken with beans, braised little gems and garlic yogurt
- May 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
Did you know, you can do more with little gem lettuces than simply put them in salad? Try braising them as in this French-inspired chicken recipe.
Or, you could take a look at our similar recipe, which features buttered chicken with lettuce and peas.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 19.4g (5.4g saturated)
- 28.6g (5.1g sugars)
- 1 garlic bulb
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans
- 4 x skin-on British free-range chicken breasts
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 2 little gem lettuces
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley
- 250g full fat Greek yogurt
- Juice ½-1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan/gas 7. Slice the top off the garlic and drizzle with oil. Wrap in foil. Roast for 20 minutes or until soft. Slice the onion; drain/rinse the beans.
- Meanwhile, put a flameproof casserole over a medium-high heat. Brush the chicken with oil and season, then fry skin-side down for 3-4 minutes until the skin is golden. Remove.
- Lower the heat and fry the onion for 8 minutes or until soft and turning golden. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then bubble for a few minutes. Add the beans, taste and season, then put the chicken back in.
- Bake for 10 minutes without a lid. Trim the lettuce and halve lengthways. Add to the pot, cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Finely chop the parsley, add it to the yogurt, then squeeze in the roast garlic and mix. Add lemon juice and olive oil, then season. Serve with the chicken.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken legs with braised little gems, peas and mint
Braising lettuce in salty stock takes it to a whole new level. Serve with crispy-skinned...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...