Roast chicken legs with braised little gems, peas and mint
- November 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40 min
Braising lettuce in salty stock takes it to a whole new level. Serve with crispy-skinned chicken and crusty bread for soaking up the juices.
- 14.6g (4.5g saturated)
- 7.2g (2.7g sugars)
- 4 British free-range chicken legs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 little gem lettuces, quartered
- 150g frozen peas
- 250ml chicken stock
- Small bunch fresh mint, finely shredded
To serve (optional)
- Crusty white bread
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken legs in a roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil and season. Roast for 40 minutes or until cooked.
- With 20 minutes of the chicken cooking time remaining, melt the butter in a large deep frying pan (with a lid) over a medium-high heat. Fry the onion for 6-7 minutes, stirring now and then, until softening. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the quartered lettuces and peas to the pan and stir to coat in the butter. Add the stock, then cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a final 3-4 minutes until the stock has reduced slightly. Stir in the mint, then season. Serve in a bowl with the chicken and some crusty bread, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Chicken with beans, braised little gems and garlic yogurt
Did you know, you can do more with little gem lettuces than simply put them...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...