Chickpea dhal with naan bread crisps
- April 2019
- Serves 4 as a snack
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 10 min
No, it’s not houmous! Dip the naan bread crisps into our flavoursome chickpea dhal for a healthy vegetarian snack.
- 14.8g (4.6g saturated)
- 45.8g (3.6g sugars)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 300ml vegetable stock or water
- 400g tin of drained and rinsed chickpeas, reserving 2 tbsp
- 300g naan bread
- Vegetable oil
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Fresh coriander leaves and natural yogurt, to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Heat 1tbsp the ghee in a pan, then fry the chopped onion for 8 minutes until soft and starting to colour. Add the crushed garlic clove and curry powder, then cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetable stock or water and a chickpeas. Simmer for 10 minutes, mashing lightly until thickened.
- Tear the naan bread into pieces and drizzle with veg oil. Spread over a baking tray, then bake for 10 minutes until crisp. Heat 1½ tsp ghee in a frying pan, add the reserved 2 tbsp chickpeas and fry until crisp (be careful – they may pop and spit if the pan gets too hot). A
- dd a pinch of chilli powder, then toss in the pan until evenly coated. Season, then serve the dhal topped with the chilli chickpeas and fresh coriander leaves, with the naan for dipping and natural yogurt, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter