Roasted cauliflower dhal
- November 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 25 min
Make a double batch of this vegetarian dhal recipe and freeze half for a quick dinner at a later date.
Take a look at our vegan tofu and cauliflower curry too.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12g (1g saturated)
- 49.4g (13.1g sugars)
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 30g fresh ginger, grated
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250g split red lentils (see tip)
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Greek yogurt and lemon wedges (optional)
- Heat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan/gas 7. Toss the cauliflower in 2 tbsp of the oil, season well and put in a single layer in a large roasting tin. Roast for 15-20 minutes on the top shelf of the oven until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large deep sauté pan or large saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, stir well, cook for a few more minutes, then add the lentils and 500ml cold water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 20-25 minutes until the lentils have started to break down and create a thick dhal.
- Season well, then stir in the roasted cauliflower and half the chopped coriander. Serve the cauliflower dhal scattered with the remaining coriander leaves, with greek yogurt and lemon wedges on the side, if you like.
Yellow split peas would also work here instead of the lentils
Make the dhal up to 48 hours in advance, but stir in the fresh herbs just before eating. Freeze (without the herbs) for up to 1 month in advance in a sealed container. Defrost and reheat thoroughly to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...