Chocolate-dipped plums with Armagnac marzipan
- December 2004
- Makes 12
- Takes 40 minutes to make, plus setting
Turn a humble piece of fruit into something special with this decadent chocolate recipe of dipped plums with Armagnac marzipan.
- 7.7g (1.8g saturated)
- 9.5g (19.3g sugar)
- 75g dark chocolate
- 200g packet mi-cuit semi-dried plums (we used Merchant Gourmet, from Sainsbury’s)
For the marzipan
- 65g shelled pistachios, plus 12 extra to decorate
- 50g ground almonds
- 55g golden caster sugar
- 55g icing sugar
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 2-3 tsp Armagnac or brandy
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Make the marzipan. Whizz the pistachios in a food processor until ground. Add the almonds, sugars, egg yolk and brandy and whizz until it comes together to form a paste (add a little more brandy if it seems crumbly). Wrap in cling film and freeze for 10 minutes to chill.
- Break up the chocolate and put into a bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Transfer to a tumbler, for easy dipping.
- Squeeze out the stone from each plum. Take small pieces of the marzipan, roll into an oblong and stuff inside each plum. Dip half of each stuffed plum in the melted chocolate, then press a pistachio onto the melted chocolate half of each plum. Sit on the lined baking tray to set.
- Once set, gift-wrap 4 or 5 in a box with a card or label, explaining to store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Rate & review