Marzipan and mascarpone cake with summer fruit
- July 2016
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 35 min, plus cooling
Light marzipan sponge is topped with creamy mascarpone icing, wonderfully fresh berries and plums to make a proper afternoon treat for warm summer days.
- 44.4g (22.8g saturated)
- 48.3g (41.9g sugars)
For the cake
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 185g golden caster sugar, plus an extra 3 tbsp
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g marzipan, chopped into 1cm cubes
- Juice 2 lemons
For the mascarpone icing
- 200g mascarpone
- 200ml double cream
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, juice ½
Summer fruit topping
- 400g summer fruit (we used raspberries, blueberries and plums)
- Golden syrup for drizzling
- Basil leaves
You’ll also need…
- 30cm x 20cm rectangular tin, fully lined with baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the orange zest, then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder with a pinch of salt, then mix in the marzipan. Dollop the cake batter into the prepared tin, smooth out and bake for 30-35 minutes until risen, golden and springy. While it’s cooking, mix the lemon juice with the 3 tbsp caster sugar, then pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Leave to cool completely in its tin.
- To make the icing, put everything in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer until the mixture forms soft peaks. Once the cake has cooled, spread the icing all over the top, scatter with summer fruit, drizzle with a little golden syrup (if using) and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Cut into squares to serve.
The basil on our cake is small-leaved Greek basil. Find it in supermarkets, or use regular basil leaves, torn. The golden syrup is to add if your fruit is sharp. If it’s beautifully sweet, there’s no need to use it (step 2).
Make the sponge up to 24 hours ahead (pour the drizzle over) and keep wrapped somewhere cool. Ice and top with fruit before serving. Freeze the un-iced sponge, well wrapped, for up to 1 month.
The iced cake will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
Rate & review