Chocolate simnel cake
- April 2008
- Makes 1 x 20cm cake
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus 2 hours to bake
As much as we love the classic version, this chocolate simnel cake – made with cocoa powder and chocolate chunks – is certain to make Easter extra special. It’s really easy to make too: simply combine to mix, then bake!
Feeling adventurous? Try our whisky and pistachio simnel cake, or this chocolate version with sour cherry and hazelnut marzipan.
- 200g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 50g, cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g plain chocolate, chopped
- 125g glace cherries, chopped
- 200g sultanas
- 200g raisins
- 50g candied orange peel, chopped
- 75g chopped almonds or brazil nuts
- 1 tsp mixed spice
For the decoration
- 250g natural colour marzipan
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Brown food colouring
- Fresh lilac pansies or sugar flowers
- Preheat the oven to 160c/fan 140c/gas 3. Grease and line a deep 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat well until pale and creamy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles. Stir in all the remaining cake ingredients to make a soft mixture. Mix well and spoon into the lined cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 150c/fan130c/gas 2 and bake for a further 1 ½ hours, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 1 hour then turn out and allow to cool completely.
- Reserve a small piece of marzipan for the ribbon, then divide the remainder into 3 and roll into long thin ropes about 40cm long. Plait the three together and wrap around the top of the cake.
- Mix the icing sugar together with 1-2 teaspoons water or enough to make a smooth thick icing. Pour onto the centre of the cake and allow to set. Roll out the remaining piece of marzipan and cut into a ribbon shape. Using food colouring, paint ‘simnel’ on the centre of the marzipan and place on the top of the cake. Decorate with flowers.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Simnel cake recipes
Sour cherry and chocolate simnel cake with hazelnut marzipan
For a modern twist on a classic Easter cake, try...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter