Chocolate sponge pudding
- March 2009
- For 6-8 people
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Enjoy this gorgeous chocolate sponge pudding hot, with unsweetened cream or custard. The ultimate after dinner dessert.
- 39.5g (24.2g saturated)
- 79g (50.6g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 225g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100g plain, bitter (70% cocoa) chocolate
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 250g soft dark brown sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp strong coffee (instant is OK)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Dice the butter and chocolate. Put in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and gently melt. Don’t stir as it is easy to overwork bitter chocolate.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale(ish) and smooth. Fold in the chocolate mix, then the flour and baking powder and beat until smooth. Finally, beat in the coffee and 250ml boiling water. You now have a smooth batter. Line a 18cm square tin with butter and baking paper and pour in the batter. Bake for 35-40 minutes, then test by inserting a skewer into the middle. It might not come out clean but some stickiness is OK.
- Cool for a good 20-30 minutes before serving with unsweetened cream. This dish is quite sweet.
Rate & review