Chocolate swirl meringues, berries and white chocolate sauce
- August 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 1 hour, plus cooling
Try our decadent chocolate meringues for your summer picnic; they are easy to make ahead and assemble when you’re ready for them.
- 15.8g (9g saturated)
- 54.4g (54.3g sugars)
- 40g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 medium free-range egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 300g mixed summer berries
For the sauce
- 250ml single cream
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 75g white chocolate, chopped
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Set aside.
- Put the egg whites in a large, clean mixing bowl and, using an electric hand-held mixer, whisk to stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in the vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the egg mixture and carefully stir once to swirl the chocolate through without combining it completely. Spoon the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking trays to make 12 meringue mounds.
- Transfer the trays to the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 140°C/ 120°C fan/gas 1. Bake for 1 hour or until the meringues are set and pull away easily from the paper. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: heat the cream in a small pan until steaming (don’t boil). In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar until smooth, then stir in the hot milk. Return to the pan and stir gently over a low heat until the mixture comes to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continuously, then remove from the heat. Stir in the white chocolate until melted, then pour into a bowl, cover the surface with cling film and leave to cool completely. Once cool, keep in the fridge. Decant into an airtight container to pack.
- Serve the meringues with the berries and a drizzle of the white chocolate sauce.
Store the baked meringues in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Make the custard up to 2 days ahead, cool, then store in the fridge in an airtight container with a piece of cling film touching the surface.
Rate & review