Nigella Lawson’s chocolate raspberry pavlova
- August 2010
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 20 min to make, 1 hour 15 min to cook
You can’t beat a pavlova recipe, especially a crisp-chewy meringue base, with nuggets of chocolate, created by Nigella Lawson! The meringue provides an enticing layer beneath the cream and crimson raspberries.
- 25.2g (15.6g saturated)
- 31.3g (31.6g sugar)
- 6 large free-range egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
- 1 tsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
For the topping
- 500ml double cream
- 500g raspberries
- 2-3 tbsp coarsely grated dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Beat the egg whites until satiny peaks form, then beat in the sugar, a large spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Add the cocoa, vinegar and chopped chocolate, then gently fold until the cocoa is thoroughly mixed in. Mound onto a lined baking sheet in a fat circle about 25cm in diameter, smoothing the sides and top. Place in the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2 and cook for 1-1¼ hours.
- When the meringue is ready it should look crisp around the edges and sides, and be dry on top, but when you prod the centre you should feel the promise of squidginess. Turn off the oven and open the door slightly, then let the chocolate meringue disc cool completely.
- When you’re ready to serve, lift onto a large, flat-bottomed plate. Whisk the cream until thick but still soft, pile it on top of the meringue, then scatter over the raspberries. Sprinkle the fruit haphazardly over the top, letting some fall, as they will, on the plate’s rim. Sprinkle over the grated chocolate to serve.
From Forever Summer by Nigella Lawson (£16.99, Chatto & Windus).
Rate & review