Cider chicken with creamy mushroom and anchovy sauce
- January 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 5 mins, plus 25 mins cooking time
Try this hearty creamy chicken recipe made with cider, mushrooms, anchovies and double cream.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 18.4g (7.8g saturated)
- 2.5g (2.3g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 200ml cider
- 150g button mushrooms, halved
- 4 tbsp double cream
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Baked potatoes, optional, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the chicken and brown all over.
- Add the anchovy fillets and fry for a few minutes. Pour in the cider and cook for 10 minutes, until reduced.
- Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter in a pan and gently fry the mushrooms until tender. Stir in the double cream, lemon juice and parsley into the pan with the chicken and season.
- Add the mushrooms to the chicken and serve with baked potatoes.
Omit the anchovies and add 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika and swap the cider for chicken stock. Add a splash of brandy with the cream to make a delicious chicken stroganoff.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Chicken supremes with wild mushroom and tarragon sauce
Creamy tarragon sauce pairs perfectly with succulent chicken breasts and wild mushrooms in this flavour-packed...