Citrus and passionfruit cheesecake
- December 2017
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling
We tweaked and tested this beautiful passionfruit cheesecake umpteen times using a clever mix of ingredients such as almond butter and cocoa nibs to please the palate while keeping the added sugar down.
The result is worthy of any festive gathering.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 15g (5.3g saturated)
- 15.5g (4g sugars)
For the base
- 160g gluten-free rolled oats
- 1½ tbsp raw cacao nibs (we used Naturya, from Ocado and Holland & Barrett)
- 100g almond butter
- 30g stoned dates
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- 280g full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia)
- 80g greek yogurt
- Grated zest 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice 1 lime
- 3 passion fruit, halved
- 1-1½ tbsp maple syrup
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish
You’ll also need…
- 23cm shallow fluted loose-bottomed tart tin, greased with butter
- For the base, heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add the oats and toast for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until they start to turn golden and give off a toasted aroma. Remove the pan from the heat, tip the oats into a medium bowl and add the cacao nibs.
- In the small bowl of a food processor (or mini chopper), whizz the almond butter, dates, cinnamon, vanilla extract and 80ml water to make a smooth, runny paste. Scrape this into the bowl with the oats/cacao nibs and mix well using a wooden spoon (it will be thick and sticky). Press the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it evenly and working it up the sides with your fingers to make a case. Cover with cling film and chill until needed.
- For the filling: beat the cream cheese with the yogurt in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in most of the zests, all the lime juice, the seeds from 2 passion fruit and as much maple syrup as you think the mix needs (taste as you add it, bit by bit – if you think you can get away with less, add less).
- Spoon the filling into the chilled case and chill for 1 hour. Serve with the seeds from the remaining passion fruit, the mint and the rest of the orange and lime zests.
Make the cheesecake up to 48 hours in advance and store covered in the fridge.
Raw cacao nibs are made from cocoa beans that have been fermented, sun-dried and broken into small crumbs.
Rate & review