Citrus-baked mackerel with couscous
- March 2007
- for 4 people
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 12-15 minutes in the oven
This lightly spiced dish, with mackerel and couscous, has a wonderful sweet and sour flavour, while the oranges take the edge off the oilyness of the fish.
- Dairy-free recipes
Per serving: 664kcals, 42.7g fat (7.9g saturated), 42.6g protein,
34g carbs, 8.1g sugar, 0.4g salt
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp olive oil
Thumb-size piece fresh ginger, grated
4 medium, whole fresh mackerel, gutted and cleaned
For the couscous
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
Juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. For the fish, make a paste by mixing together the finely grated zest of 1 orange with the cumin, coriander, oil, ginger and some seasoning. Make 3 slashes on both sides of each mackerel, rub the paste inside and over the outside and transfer the fish to a large roasting tin lined with foil.
2. Cut the un-zested orange into round slices and stuff inside each fish. Juice the zested orange and pour over the fish. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. A good test is to see if the top dorsal fin comes out easily – if it does, it’s cooked, if not, cook for a further 5 minutes and try again.
3. Meanwhile, put all the couscous ingredients into a large bowl. Pour over 225ml just-boiled water, cover with cling film and set aside for 5 minutes to absorb the liquid. Fluff up the grains with a fork and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
4. Carefully lift a mackerel onto each plate, spooning over the pan juices and rearranging the orange slices inside each fish. Spoon the couscous alongside to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
November seasonal recipes
Mackerel flatbreads with pickled kohlrabi and parsley potatoes
A quick and easy way of serving mackerel, on flatbreads with pickled kohlrabi and parsley...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...