Cod, prawn, pea and rocket fishcakes
- June 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Fish and potato doesn’t always have to equal fish and chips. These fishcakes require minimal effort and use fresh summer produce – an easy midweek dinner.
- 11.4g (2.1g saturated)
- 38.9g (2.6g sugars)
- 700g floury potatoes, such as maris piper, cut into even chunks
- 60g rocket
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- 180g raw sustainable prawns, peeled and roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- Small bunch fresh chives, snipped
- 250g boneless and skinless cod fillets
- Plain flour for dusting
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Poached eggs and crisp green salad – optional
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then mash the potatoes and set aside in a large mixing bowl to cool slightly. Add the rocket, peas, prawns, lemon zest and juice, beaten egg and chives along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together well.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a large frying pan with water and heat until just simmering. Add the cod and poach for 6-8 minutes until the fish is just cooked through. Using a fish slice, transfer the cod to a plate, pat dry with kitchen paper, then flake into large pieces with a fork.
- Gently mix the flaked cod into the potato mixture, trying not to break up the fish too much. Shape into 8 patties, then roll them in the flour.
- Heat a large frying pan with the oil over a medium-high heat and fry the fishcakes, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Serve 2 per person, topped with a poached egg and with a green salad, if you like.
Double the ingredients to make 16 patties and fry them as in the recipe. Wrap each fishcake in cling film, then foil, and freeze. Cook from frozen in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 20-25 minutes until piping hot throughout.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Home-salted cod fishcakes with salsa verde mayonnaise
Crisp, golden and served with a creamy salsa verde – this Debbie Major fishcake recipe...