Salt cod fishcakes with speedy tomato and chilli sugo
- September 2007
- Serves 8
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus 24 hours' soaking
Salt cod fishcakes with speedy tomato and chilli sugo (sauce) is an easy Italian recipe. Once the salt cod has been soaked (24 hours’) it’s also quite quick to make.
- 120g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 4-6 tbsp milk
- 400g salt cod
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
For the sugo
- 4 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Place the salt cod in a shallow dish and cover with cold water. Leave to soak for 24 hours, draining and changing the water twice during this time.
- Make the speedy tomato and chilli sugo. Place the chopped tomatoes, chillies, dried oregano, caster sugar and olive oil in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 15 minutes, until pulpy. Add the vinegar and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Make the fishcakes. Put the flour and salt into a large bowl and beat in the egg and milk to make a batter. Drain the cod, remove the skin and bones, then tear the fish into small pieces. Stir the cod into the batter with the onion, parsley and a grinding of black pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan and shallow-fry small spoonfuls of the fishcake mixture for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden. Set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer to a platter and serve the fishcakes warm with the sugo on the side.
Sprinkle the fishcakes with grated Grana Padano for a cheesy treat.
Rate & review