Coriander and beer mussels
- September 2008
- 3kg mussels
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 500ml lager
- 30g fresh coriander, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Rinse the mussels in cold water, removing the beards. Throw away any that have broken shells or don’t close when tapped.
- Place the onions in a large, deep pan with 250ml boiling water and bubble over a high heat for 5 minutes, until the water is reduced.
- Add the oil, chilli, garlic, lemongrass and ginger and stir until the onions turn slightly golden. Add the lager and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels to the pan and cover tightly with a lid. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until all the mussels have opened, shaking the pan occasionally. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened.
- Add the coriander and lime juice and serve with some crusty bread and lime wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review