Cornbread with deep-fried crispy onions
- March 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 25-30 min
Deep-fried spring onions are taken one step further with a cornmeal crunch, before being topped on a cheesy, spring onion-spiked cornbread.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 40.3g (15.3g saturated)
- 73.7g (6.3g sugars)
- 150g plain flour
- 200g cornmeal or instant polenta
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 200g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 50g butter, melted
- 200ml buttermilk
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the deep-fried spring onions
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 75g plain flour
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 125g cornmeal or instant polenta
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced in half lengthways
- Grated zest and juice 1 lime
For the chipotle mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chilli paste (we like Gran Luchito Mexico Smoked Chipotle Chilli Paste)
- Juice 1 lime to taste
You’ll also need…
- 20cm square cake tin, fully lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Sift the 150g plain flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the cornmeal/polenta, salt, baking powder, sugar, mustard powder, cayenne, 150g of the grated cheese, the chilli and the sliced spring onions. Make a well in the centre.
- In a jug, mix the melted butter with the buttermilk, eggs and olive oil and pour into the well. Stir quickly to combine, then pour into the cake tin. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese, then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a skewer pushed into the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, fry the spring onions. Fill a heavy-based deep pan with 6-8cm oil, then put over a medium heat until it reads 180°C on a digital probe thermometer (or a cube of bread turns golden in 30-40 seconds). Line a baking tray with kitchen paper and set aside.
- In a wide shallow bowl mix the flour, mustard powder, garlic salt, cayenne pepper and a good pinch of salt. Beat the 2 eggs and put in another bowl, then put the cornmeal/polenta in a third similar bowl. Dust the spring onions all over in the seasoned flour, then coat in the egg, then finally toss in the cornmeal/polenta to coat.
- Working in batches, fry the spring onions until golden brown (3-4 minutes), then scoop out with a wire basket or tongs and lay on the prepared tray. Immediately sprinkle with lime juice, lime zest and salt. Cook the rest of the onions.
- Mix all the mayonnaise ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste. Once the cornbread is cooked, top with the crispy onions with the mayo alongside for dipping.
Bake the cornbread up to 24 hours ahead. Warm in a hot oven to serve. Fry the onions (step 5) up to 24 hours ahead, leave to cool, then cover and store somewhere cool. Reheat in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
Rate & review