- March 2007
- Serves 10
- Hands on time 20 min, baking time 50-55 min, plus cooling
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.7g (2.5g saturated)
- 26.6g (2.2g sugars)
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 175g strong white bread flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g coarse polenta (cornmeal)
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 4tbsp poppy seeds, plus extra to sprinkle
- 75g grated mature cheddar
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1tsp salt
- 284ml carton buttermilk
- 1tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease an 11 x 21 x 7cm deep loaf tin with oil.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Stir in the polenta, sugar, poppy seeds, cheese, chilli and salt. Lightly beat the milks and egg together, then stir into the dry ingredients with a fork.
- Sprinkle with extra poppy seeds and bake for 50-55 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool. Slice to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury bread recipes
Jalapeño cornbread with charred spring onion soured cream
Serve this jalapeño cornbread on it’s own, as a snack or on the side of...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...