Coronation prawn and mango cocktail
- November 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 40 minutes
For a contemporary version of a 1970’s classic seafood starter, try our prawn and mango cocktail recipe. It’s light and fruity, and makes for an impressive first course.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sweet mango chutney
- 150ml good-quality mayonnaise
- 100ml Greek yogurt
- 1 large, soft lettuce, outer leaves discarded and the rest washed and dried
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and thinly sliced
- 1 small ripe mango, peeled, stoned and thinly sliced
- 300g cooked and peeled large prawns, thawed if frozen
- Heat the sunflower oil in a small saucepan, add the onion and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato purée, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the mango chutney and 150ml water and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick sauce. Transfer to a mini food processor and blend until smooth. Leave to go cold.
- Put the mayonnaise and yogurt into a bowl with the cold curry sauce and mix well. Season, then stir in the remaining lemon juice to taste.
- Divide the lettuce leaves between 4 wine glasses or glass bowls and arrange the slices of avocado, mango and the prawns on top. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the sauce and serve with lightly buttered brown bread, if you like.
Rate & review