Classic prawn cocktail
- August 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 min
Make our classic prawn cocktail when you want to whip up a starter in just 15 minutes. The prawns and marie-rose sauce can be made in advance too, if you want to save even more time and hassle!
Try this classic dish in salad form with our lime, basil and prawn cocktail salad recipe.
- 11.9g (1.1g saturated)
- 3.2g (3.2g sugars)
- 4 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise (we like Delouis)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 4 big shakes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp dry sherry
- Juice ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve (see tip)
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 400g sustainably sourced cooked king prawns, shelled (if you like, save 4 unshelled prawns for garnishing)
- Paprika for dusting
You’ll also need
- 4 wine glasses or champagne coupes
- Mix the mayo, ketchup, Tabasco and sherry in a mixing bowl until well combined. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
- Divide the shredded lettuce among the glasses or coupes. Sprinkle over the chopped chives and spring onions, then top with the prawns and sauce. Dust each portion with paprika and put a lemon wedge
on the side for squeezing. Serve straightaway.
If you can find some good ripe mangoes – the keitt variety are around now – forgo the lettuce in glasses, scoop out the stone, put the flesh back and serve the prawns in mango halves, using limes instead of lemons.
Prepare the prawns and marie-rose sauce up to a day ahead and keep them covered, separately, in the fridge.
The best bottle for this has to be a zesty, lemon-fresh Loire Valley sauvignon blanc – choose a sancerre, pouilly-fumé or an inexpensive sauvignon blanc from Touraine.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
30-minute meal recipes
Prawn cocktail sub with avocado and Tabasco relish
This is not any old sandwich. We’ve combined two classic...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter