Courgettes with chilli-spiced yogurt and poached eggs
- July 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Courgettes are cooked in yoghurt and chilli before being topped with perfectly poached eggs in this slightly different brunch dish. Serve with naan breads for soaking up the yoghurty sauce, or find out how to make your own.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 23.4g (10g saturated
- 9.2g (8.7g sugars)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 medium courgettes, sliced
- 500g mixed tomatoes, larger ones halved or quartered
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, roughly crushed
- ½-1½ tsp chilli flakes (depending on heat and taste)
- 8 small free-range eggs
- 500g greek yogurt
- Handful mixed herbs (mint and coriander), finely chopped
- 10g unsweetened coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
- Warmed naan breads to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large shallow casserole (or heavy-based frying
pan) over a medium-high heat, add the courgettes and fry for 2-3 minutes until brown, then transfer to a plate. Turn down the heat to medium, then add the rest of the oil, the tomatoes, coriander seeds and chilli flakes. Mix well and cook for 6 minutes until fragrant and the tomatoes are starting to burst.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pan about 5cm deep with boiling water from a kettle. Bring to a gentle simmer, crack in the eggs (you may need to do this in two batches) and cook for 3-4 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Return the courgettes to the casserole/pan to heat through, then
take the pan off the heat, mix in the yogurt, half the herbs and the coconut. Taste and season with salt and pepper, put the eggs on top, sprinkle with the remaining herbs and serve with warm naan breads.
Swap courgettes for other green vegetables such as broad beans, green beans, sugarsnap peas or mangetout.
Very fresh eggs are easier to poach, as the white stays close together as they cook.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Turkish-style poached eggs with yogurt and chilli butter
Classic poached eggs are brought to life here by the fresh, exciting flavours of mint,...