Turkish menemen with sumac yogurt
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
This baked eggs recipe is all about the spice! The fragrant tomato sauce is bursting with cumin, ginger, fennel and mustard seeds and drizzled in a zesty sumac yoghurt dressing. Give it a go for brunch this morning.
- 21.7g (4.7g saturated)
- 8.8g (7.7g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 8 vine tomatoes, diced, or 400g can tomatoes
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil to serve
- Small bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
For the sumac yogurt
- 25ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp sumac
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 100g plain or Greek yogurt
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat the 2 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the fennel, cumin and mustard seeds and the chilli flakes. Fry for 4-5 minutes until the spices are aromatic, then add the ginger, onion and garlic. Fry gently until softened, then add the red pepper, tomato and 2 tbsp water. Cook gently for 10 minutes or so until the sauce is aromatic and beginning to thicken. Adjust the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, make the sumac yogurt. In a bowl, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil, sumac and garlic into the yogurt. Whisk in the lemon juice to taste, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make 4 hollows in the menemen mixture, then crack the eggs into them. Cover and leave to simmer away gently until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with plenty of chopped parsley. Serve in the pan, with the sumac yogurt on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter