Smoked mackerel and spinach baked eggs
- September 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 15 min
The addition of omega 3-rich mackerel adds a wonderful salty, smoky flavour to this baked eggs dish. Serve as a midweek supper or brilliant brunch.
- 31.4g (9.3g saturated)
- 1.2g (1.1g sugars)
- 200g spinach
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish from a jar (horseradish sauce works fine too)
- 200g smoked mackerel, skin removed
- 8 medium free-range eggs
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the spinach in a colander, pour over freshly boiled water from the kettle and leave to just wilt. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water and divide among 4 individual pie dishes. Mix the crème fraîche with the chives and horseradish and season well. Flake the mackerel among the dishes, then share out the crème fraîche mixture. Crack 2 eggs into each dish. Season with a little salt and plenty of pepper.
- Cover each dish with foil, then bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes until the whites of the eggs are set with just the faintest wobble. Stand for 2 minutes, then serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Rate & review