Smoked mackerel and spinach baked eggs
- September 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 15 min
The addition of omega 3-rich mackerel adds a wonderful salty, smoky flavour to this baked eggs dish. Serve as a midweek supper or brilliant brunch.
- 31.4g (9.3g saturated)
- 1.2g (1.1g sugars)
- 200g spinach
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish from a jar (horseradish sauce works fine too)
- 200g smoked mackerel, skin removed
- 8 medium free-range eggs
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the spinach in a colander, pour over freshly boiled water from the kettle and leave to just wilt. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water and divide among 4 individual pie dishes. Mix the crème fraîche with the chives and horseradish and season well. Flake the mackerel among the dishes, then share out the crème fraîche mixture. Crack 2 eggs into each dish. Season with a little salt and plenty of pepper.
- Cover each dish with foil, then bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes until the whites of the eggs are set with just the faintest wobble. Stand for 2 minutes, then serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...