- May 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Serve these creamy Turkish eggs with toasted pitta for an impressive, simple and summery breakfast or brunch. (Psst! Here’s our guide on how to poach eggs.)
- Vegetarian recipes
- 39.9g (23g saturated)
- 25g (6.6g sugars)
- Splash white wine vinegar
- 4 very fresh free-range eggs (see know-how)
- Bowl of iced water
- 450g Greek yogurt (we like Total)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Bunch fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Turkish chilli flakes (see know-how), plus extra
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed with the flat of a knife (optional)
- Turkish bread, pitta bread or sourdough toast to serve
- Start this recipe at least 1 hour before you want to eat (or see make ahead). Fill a large deep pan with water, add the vinegar, then heat until the water is very gently bubbling. Crack an egg into a ramekin, hold it close to the water, then gently slide it in. Repeat with the remaining eggs, then cook for 2-3 minutes until the whites are set. Remove with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl of iced water to cool completely. Using a slotted spoon, lift the eggs onto a plate lined with kitchen paper, then cover with cling film and chill.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl, then stir in the spring onions and most of the coriander. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and chill until ready to serve (see make ahead).
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat, then add the chilli flakes and garlic, if using. Keep warm.
- Take the pan you used for the eggs, refill with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Drop in the poached eggs and leave for a minute or so to warm through.
- Divide the yogurt evenly among 4 bowls. Drain the eggs, then put on top of the yogurt. Turn the heat up under the butter so it sizzles, then pour over the eggs, scatter with the reserved coriander and extra chilli flakes, then serve with bread.
Make the herbed yogurt up to a day ahead. Poach the eggs first thing in the morning, cool in iced water, then chill, covered, for up to 3 hours. Reheat as in step 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Turkish-style poached eggs with yogurt and chilli butter
Classic poached eggs are brought to life here by the fresh, exciting flavours of mint,...