Turkish-style poached eggs with yogurt and chilli butter
- April 2012
- Serves 6
- Ready in 20 minutes
Classic poached eggs are brought to life here by the fresh, exciting flavours of mint, chilli and smoked paprika. They’re served over thick Greek yoghurt for an indulgent yet refreshing breakfast dish.
Before you try this recipe, check out our guide on how to poach eggs first.
- 30.6g (17.3g saturated)
- 6.2g (5.8g sugars)
- Splash of white wine vinegar
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 800g good-quality Greek yogurt
- 75g butter
- ½ tsp chilli powder (mild or medium, depending on how spicy you want it)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Small bunch of fresh mint, leaves finely shredded
- Toasted sourdough bread slices or mini pittas to serve
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a splash of white wine vinegar. Lower the heat to a simmer, then gently crack in 3 eggs and simmer for 3 minutes. Lift each egg out with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
- Meanwhile, stir the lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt into the yogurt, then divide equally among 6 bowls. In a separate pan, melt the butter with the chilli powder and smoked paprika, bubble for a couple of minutes until the butter begins to brown a little, then remove from the heat.
- Carefully place a poached egg onto the yogurt in the centre of each bowl, generously spoon over the hot chilli butter and scatter with sea salt flakes and a sprinkle of shredded mint. Serve with slices of toasted sourdough or mini pitta breads.
Increase the amount of eggs to 2 each for a hearty breakfast.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Baked eggs with mushrooms, potatoes, spinach and Gruyère
Make this baked eggs recipe in just one pan –...
Smoked salmon recipes
Eggs en cocotte with hot-smoked salmon, leeks and peas
This French recipe for baked eggs (the en cocotte means...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter