Squash and cumin soup with cheesy toasts
- March 2010
- Serves 8-10 people
- Hands on time 20 minutes, 50 minutes cooking time plus defrosting and reheating
Cumin compliments squash beautifully in this comforting soup. It’s pretty good on the calories, even when served with cheesy toasts.
- 14.7g (6.2g saturated)
- 45.7g (17.7g sugars)
- 2kg squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for the toasts
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra for the cheesy toasts
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Knob of butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 600ml chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- Small baguette, cut into 12 slices, to serve
- 150g soft goat’s cheese, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the squash on a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp of the oil, season and sprinkle with the chilli and thyme. Roast for 45 minutes until tender, shaking the tray occasionally. Toast the spices in a dry frying pan, then grind in a pestle and mortar. Add the butter to the pan and cook the onion and garlic until softened.
- Put the squash, onion, garlic and the stock in a food processor and whizz until smooth (or use a stick blender). Push through a sieve into a pan. Check the seasoning and stir through 1-2 tsp of the spice mix, to taste. Leave to cool and decant into plastic containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Store the remainder of the spice mix in an airtight container.
- To serve, defrost the soup. Drizzle the bread with the oil, then toast. Spread the toast with the cheese, top with thyme sprigs and grill to warm the cheese through.
- Meanwhile, reheat the soup and check the seasoning. Serve, garnished with the spice mix, with the cheesy thyme toasts.
Fry some chorizo until crisp, then spoon over the soup along with some fresh thyme. The soup freezes very well also.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Creamy butternut squash and tomato soup
Smooth butternut squash soup is a delicious winter warmer and is suitable for vegetarians too....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...