Squash and apple soup with cheddar croutons
- October 2015
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 50 min
Nothing beats a bowl of soup on a cold autumn day, this recipe pairs squash and apple with mature cheddar for a flavour packed meal.
- 13.2g (4g saturated)
- 41.4g (19.8g sugars)
- 1 medium squash
- Olive oil
- 2 onions
- 3 apples
- 1½ tbsp grated horseradish (from a jar)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 200g good quality bread
- 100g mature cheddar
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Roughly chop and deseed the squash, toss with a glug of olive oil, season and spread over a large baking tray. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Cut the onions and apples into wedges, then add to the tray. Roast for 40 minutes, tossing occasionally, then put everything in a large saucepan. Add the horseradish and vegetable stock, then season very well. Bring to a simmer, then blend until smooth. Keep warm.
- Tear the bread into small chunks, toss with a glug of olive oil, then spread over the prepared baking sheet. Grate over the cheddar, filling the gaps between the bread with cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, then lay the cheesy croutons on top and scatter with fresh thyme sprigs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Creamy butternut squash and tomato soup
Smooth butternut squash soup is a delicious winter warmer and is suitable for vegetarians too....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...