Creamy ham and spinach puff tart
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 25-30 minutes to cook
This ham and spinach tart recipe is perfect if you’re feeding friends and family on a budget.
- 68.6g (35.4g saturated)
- 39.9g (5.4g sugar)
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 350g bag baby leaf spinach
- 250g pot crème fraîche
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 100g Gruyère, grated
- 150g (about 6 thick-cut slices) smoked cooked ham, roughly torn
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and put a baking sheet in. Roll the pastry out and line the base and sides of a 30cm x 20cm Swiss roll tin with it. Prick the base all over with a fork and chill.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Transfer to a bowl, then tip the spinach into the pan and cook, stirring, until wilted. Remove from the pan, squeeze out any excess water and chop. Put in the bowl with the onion to cool.
- Beat together the crème fraîche, eggs and half the cheese and season.
- Spread the spinach mixture onto the pastry, then pour over the creamy egg mixture and top with the torn slices of ham and the remaining cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is puffed and the filling set and golden. Serve with a crisp salad.
Rate & review