Creamy prawn, bacon and broccoli penne
- August 2005
- 500g penne pasta
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small head broccoli, broken into small florets
- 150ml vegetable stock, hot
- 142ml carton single cream
- 250g cooked, peeled large prawns (thaw if frozen)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the pasta and a good pinch of salt. Cook according to the packet instructions, then drain and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes, until golden and crisp, then remove and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic, return the bacon to the pan and add the broccoli florets and stock. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid or baking tray and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir the cream and prawns into the sauce and heat through for 2-3 minutes, until just simmering – don’t overheat. Season, then stir into the pasta and gently mix it all together. Divide between bowls to serve.
You could use other fish, such as salmon or undyed haddock. If so, add it at the same time as the stock and broccoli so it cooks through.
Rate & review