Broccoli, sultana and chilli penne with parmesan crumbs
- August 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
Broccoli, sultanas and chillis in the same pasta dish? Don’t knock it until you’ve tried this delicious taste of Italy.
- 9.8g (2.2g saturated)
- 80.1g (8.9g sugars)
- 350g penne
- 50g ciabatta bread, roughly torn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 20g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250g tenderstem broccoli, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ large red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 25g sultanas
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh curly parsley
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the penne according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium and line the grill pan with foil. Mix the torn bread with half the oil in a bowl and season with black pepper. Spread out on the grill pan and grill for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently, until crisp and golden. Cool slightly, transfer to a blender and whizz to coarse crumbs. Stir in the Parmesan.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the broccoli, garlic, chilli and sultanas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until the broccoli is tender – add a splash of water to prevent it catching.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan with the parsley and lemon zest and juice. Season, toss, then divide between 4 bowls. Top with the toasted Parmesan crumbs to serve.
Rate & review