Pan-fried sea trout with watercress, pea shoots and mint sauce
- May 2014
- 400g fresh petits pois (shellled weight; see tip)
- Handful fresh parsley leaves
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 150g new potatoes, thickly sliced
- Olive oil for frying
- 50g butter
- Good handful fresh mint leaves, finely shredded, plus whole leaves to serve
- 4 x 150g sustainably sourced sea trout fillets, skin on
- 50g watercress
- Handful pea shoots
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the petits pois. Cook for 2 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water. Whizz the parsley and three quarters of the peas with the lemon zest and juice in a food processor until smooth. Season.
- Bring another pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 8 minutes. Drain well, then return to the pan to steam dry. Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the potatoes for 10 minutes or until golden. Season and keep warm.
- Spoon the pea purée into a pan with half the butter, a splash of water, the remaining peas and the shredded mint, then warm through over a low heat. Season and stir occasionally.
- Season the trout skin. Heat the rest of the butter and a little more olive oil in a frying pan until sizzling. Add the fish, skin-side down, then fry for 5 minutes or until the skin is crisp. Season the top of the fish, then turn over and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Toss the watercress and pea shoots in extra-virgin olive oil and season. Divide the pea sauce among warmed, shallow bowls, then put the fish on top. Garnish with the mint leaves and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, then serve with the watercress, pea shoots and potatoes.
If you can’t get hold of fresh, shelled peas, defrost frozen petits pois but don’t blanch them, just pop them straight in the food processor with the lemon
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese and pumpernickel with apple salad
A wonderful do-ahead recipe. The curing flavours also work well with salmon if you prefer.
Buttered sea trout and prawn pots with dill and soda bread toast
A sea trout and prawn pot recipe, topped with butter and served individually with crispy...