Crispy chicken with mustard and cream lentils
- March 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 25-30 min
Make the most of your storecupboard ingredients with this quick and easy dinner of crispy chicken thighs with creamed lentils.
Want another way with chicken thighs? We’ve got lots of ideas here.
- 27.9g (8.8g saturated)
- 31.7g (2.5g sugars)
- 8 free-range chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250g dried puy lentils
- 600ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tbsp double cream or crème fraîche
- Handful fresh parsley
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Toss the chicken in a medium bowl with 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Season. Spread over a roasting tray, then roast for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and crush the garlic. Put in a medium pan with the remaining oil and cook gently, without colouring, for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and stock, then bring to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are cooked but still have some bite. The consistency should be slightly soupy. If there’s too much liquid, drain some off; if there’s too little, add a splash of water.
- Stir the mustard and cream/crème fraîche through the lentils, then gently bubble to reduce a little. Season, then serve in dishes with the crispy chicken on top, garnished with chopped parsley.
Cook sausages instead of chicken, if you like. Slice, then stir through the lentils in step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken with squash, black lentils and hazelnut picada
Diana Henry’s roast chicken recipe takes a spanish twist with zesty, flavour-packed picada and sherry-roasted...