Chunky lentil, chicken and tomato broth
- November 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 30 min
This gluten-free soup recipe is packed with hearty lentils and topped with a dollop of cooling, refreshing yogurt.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.6g (1g saturated)
- 28.9g (12.6g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 free-range chicken breasts, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium leeks, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g tins puy or green lentils, drained and rinsed
- Lemon juice, fresh coriander leaves and greek yogurt
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot, then fry for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften and colour.
- Add the garlic, cumin and garam masala and fry for 2-3 minutes until the spices smell fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes and 300ml water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and leeks. Simmer for 10 minutes or until tender and nearly cooked through. Stir in the lentils and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, coriander leaves and a dollop of yogurt.
Make this dish up to 48 hours ahead and keep covered in the fridge, or freeze in a sealed container for up to 1 month. Defrost, then reheat to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick chicken recipes
Quick lentil, chicken, spring greens and broccoli soup
A soup recipe that’s anything but boring – this quick shortcut supper is bursting with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...