Cucumber and basil cocktail
- June 2019
- Serves 10
- Hands-on time 10 min, plus cooling
A non-alcoholic cocktail – made with cucumber, basil and lemon – is the perfect summertime thirst quencher. Serve at your next alfresco feast.
Make it boozy by adding gin, like in this cucumber cooler cocktail recipe.
- 0.2g (no saturated)
- 18.8g (18.7g sugars)
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 250ml lemon juice from 6-7 lemons
- 180g caster sugar
- Bunch fresh basil
- Sparkling or still water to serve
- Put most of the cucumber in a large pan with the lemon juice and caster sugar, then tear in most of the basil. Gently simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- After a few minutes, remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Once completely cool, strain through a fine sieve, pour into a clean bottle or jar and seal securely.
- Serve topped up with still or sparkling water, garnished with the remaining cucumber slices and basil leaves (or see Make Ahead).
Dilute and freeze in plastic bottles (leave space in the bottles for the liquid to expand). The bottles will act as coolers for the rest of the picnic. The undiluted lemonade mix will keep in the freezer for up to a month.
Rate & review