Danish apple doughnuts (æbleskiver)
- November 2019
- Makes about 50
- Hands-on time 40 min, plus 40 min resting
Danish food writer and chef Trine Hahnemann’s home-made version of æbleskiver – Danish baked doughnuts – are apple-flavoured morsels of doughy heaven. They’re served everywhere in Denmark throughout December, although we think they make a lovely sweet treat any time of year.
Take your love for doughnuts to the next level with these charming mini doughnut muffins.
- 0.4g (0.2g saturated)
- 2.1g (0.9g sugars)
- trace salt
- 20g fresh yeast (or 15g fast-action dried yeast)
- 400ml lukewarm whole milk
- 2 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 300g plain flour
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground cardamom
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped
- 75g butter for frying
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm cubes
- 50g icing sugar to dust
- Raspberry jam to serve
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk in a large bowl, then whisk in the egg yolks. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, cardamom, sugar and vanilla seeds, mixing well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the milk mixture and beat to make a smooth batter, like a thick pancake batter.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the batter. Leave to rest for 40 minutes.
- Heat the æbleskiver pan over a medium heat. Put a tiny knob of butter in each indentation and, when it has melted, pour in some of the batter. Put a piece of apple in the middle of each, then cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden underneath. Turn the doughnuts over using a skewer, continue frying for 4-5 minutes until golden, then remove from the pan. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with raspberry jam.
You need an æbleskiver pan for this recipe but it’s worth buying and it doesn’t cost too much. We used a KitchenCraft one, £14.99, from amazon.co.uk.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...