Easy baked spinach and ricotta pasta shells
- May 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 40 min
A classic Italian pasta recipe – conchiglioni (pasta shells) are stuffed with a cheesy ricotta and spinach mixture then topped with a tomato sauce before baking. Midweek meal perfection.
We’ve got another great conchiglioni recipe served in a rich tomato sauce, all you have to do is decide how much cheese to grate on top.
- 16.8g (6.3g saturated)
- 78.8g (17.1g sugars)
- 280g conchiglioni pasta
- 260g baby leaf spinach
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 250g 2 per cent fat greek yogurt (we like Total)
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 2 lemons
- 2 x 350g jars tomato and parmesan pasta sauce
- 70g dried breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 12 minutes or until al dente. Drain, refresh in cold water, then drain again and set aside. Put the spinach into a large colander and pour a full kettle of boiling water over to wilt it. Drain, then use the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. In a mixing bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta, yogurt, nutmeg, garlic and zest of 1 lemon with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour half the tomato sauce into a 1.5 litre baking dish, then arrange the shells in a single layer, with the open side facing upwards. Spoon the spinach mixture evenly into each shell, then pour the rest of the tomato sauce over. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and the rest of the lemon zest. Remove the foil from the dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs over, then return it to the oven for 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
Watch the recipe video…
Layer the ricotta stuffing in between cooked lasagne sheets for a quick lasagne.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter